The Skinny on Save for Web
by Jen White
Save for Web—here’s the why and how of it all.
What Is Save for Web?
In Photoshop Elements and Adobe Photoshop, Save for Web perfectly prepares an image for online sharing—images such as photos, cards, and scrapbook layouts.
Why Use Save for Web?
- We want to see your images online and so do your friends and family.
- Everyone enjoys the warm fuzzies that come from online gallery comments. Yep, I do too!
- Online scrapbook galleries generally have size limits. You cannot upload a high quality JPG.
- Using Save For Web is the most efficient way to get your images ready for online posting without a risk of screwing up the document’s styles, filters, and effects.
How To Use Save for Web
- Save for Web can be found in the File Menu.
- PS & PSE: File > Save for Web
- PSCC: File > Export > Save for Web.
- The shortcut is Shift Ctrl Alt S (Mac: Shift Cmd Opt S). Memorizing this will help to simplify the task even more.
- In the Save for Web dialog box, first set the File Format to JPEG.
Note: JPG is the same thing as JPEG.
- Next, set the longest side (Image Size) of the image to 700px.
- Finally, lower the image Quality without sacrificing details. The Kbs must be under 300, but you can typically go much lower than this.
- Click Save.
Note: If you find that Save for Web is taking WAY too long to process, try flattening a duplicate copy of your image and then saving for web.
Too Many Settings!
Have you heard the expression, “Ignorance is bliss?” Well, that applies to all the other (other than what I mentioned above) Save for Web settings. Just ignore them.
Use Our Save for Web Actions
You may be wondering, “Can you just do it for me?” Well, the answer is YES, we can. Here are some resources you might be interested in.
- Download Linda Sattgast’s Resize for Gallery action set.
- Watch a video explaining
There you go. Follow these instructions and you’ll be all set for online sharing.
More questions about Save for Web? Search or ask in our forums.
Author: Jen White | Contact Us
All comments are moderated.
Please allow time for your comment to appear.