Sketchy Pastel Photos
By Nannette Dalton
In my last tutorial I showed you how to turn a photo into a sketch drawing. As promised, today I am going to show you how to take that sketchy photo to the next level and turn it into a pastel drawing.
I love the soft effect this technique gives, and you will not believe how easy it is to achieve!
Step One: Open the Saved Sketch
- Open (File > Open) the saved sketch file you created from my previous tutorial.
Step Two: Colorize the Sketch
- In the Layers panel, activate the bottom color photo.
- Press Ctrl J (Mac: Cmd J) to duplicate the color photo.
- In the Menu Bar, choose Layer > Arrange > Bring to Front.
- In the Layers panel, change the Blend Mode to Color and lower the Opacity to around 60%.
Step Three: Add Some Texture
- Click on the image below to download the nd-Watercolor-Papers.zip file. Inside the folder, you will find five different water color papers.
- In the Layers panel, make sure that the top layer is activated.
- Open the watercolor paper that matches the color tones in the photo. I used ND-Watercolor-05.
- Get the Move tool.
- On the document, while holding down the Shift key, click on the paper and drag it onto the sketch photo document.
- Press Ctrl T (Mac: Cmd T) to get the Transform options.
- On the document, click on one of the corner handles of the Bounding Box and drag outward to resize the paper as needed to cover the photo. (Photoshop: Press and hold the Shift key while resizing to maintain proportion). Double click inside the Bounding Box to commit the transformation.
- In the Layers panel, change the Blend Mode to Multiply.
Step Four: Save the Flattened Image
- In the Menu Bar, choose Layer > Flatten Image.
- Choose File > Save As.
- In the dialog box, choose a name and location for the new colorized sketchy photo, set the Format to JPEG, and click Save.
There you go. I told you it was quick and easy. Here is the same layout that I did in my last tutorial, this time using the colored version of the sketch.
Page & Photos: Nannette Dalton
Tutorials: Sketchy Pastel Photos by Nannette Dalton, Stenciled Effect by Syndee Nuckles
Kit: Thankful by Karla Dudley
Extras: Water Color Paper by Nannette Dalton, Photo Mask Pk Vol 1 by Jen White
Fonts: Homestead, DJB Nann Script
Software: Photoshop Elements 12, Adobe Photoshop CC 2014
If you enjoyed this tutorial, you might also like:
Watercolor Canvas Video Tutorial
by Jen White
Turn any photo into a beautiful watercolor canvas complete with hand-drawn pencil lines and watery brush strokes.
Digital Watercolor Video Tutorial
by Jan Walker
Dive into the wonderful world of digital art with this simple but amazing watercolor painting technique. With an ordinary photo, some watercolor brushes and our textured background paper, you’ll be “painting” with pixels in no time! This tutorial includes 25 watercolor brushes.
An Elegant Illustration Video Tutorial
by Jan Walker
Turn your favorite photos into beautiful illustrations, and use them as a fabulous focal point for a scrapbook page, or a wonderful work of frame-able art.
Author: Nannette Dalton | email@example.com
All comments are moderated.
Please allow time for your comment to appear.