Graph Paper with the Polar Coordinates Filter
by Jenifer Juris
Graph paper doesn’t have to stop at the basic grid. Learn how to make a circular graph paper background using the polar coordinates filter.
For this tutorial you’ll need:
- Photoshop Elements or Adobe Photoshop
Step One: Prepare the Workspace
- Create a new 12×12 inch document (File > New > Blank File) at 300 ppi with a white background. (PS: Choose File > New.)
- Press the letter D to reset the Color Chips to the default of black over white.
- In the Layers panel, click on the padlock icon of the Background layer to unlock it.
Step Two: Create the Grid
- Click on the Foreground Color Chip to open the Color Picker.
- In the Color Picker, pick a light blue color. I used Hex #7bb5da.
- In the Menu Bar, choose Filter > Stylize > Tiles.
- In the dialog box, set the Number Of Tiles to 40, the Maximum Offset to 1%, and the Fill Empty Area with Foreground Color.
- Click OK.
Step Three: Create the Polar Coordinates
- In the Menu Bar, choose Filter > Distort > Polar Coordinates.
- In the dialog box, choose the Rectangular to Polar option.
- Click OK.
Step Four: Remove the Blue Corners
- Press Ctrl T (Mac: Cmd T) to get the Transform options.
- In the Tool Options, change the Width to 145%.
- Click the checkmark to commit.
NOTE: When you change the width to 145%, your height should also change to 145%. If it doesn’t, then your program is not set to the default of Constrain Proportions (or Maintain Aspect Ratio for PS) and so you’ll need to make the height 145% as well.
- Press Ctrl A (Mac: Cmd A) to Select All.
- In the Menu Bar, choose Image > Crop to remove the excess pixels.
- Press Ctrl D (Mac: Cmd D) to deselect.
Step Five: Save As
- Save the document (File > Save As) as a high quality JPEG file with a unique name.
Graph paper backgrounds can be used for so many things. Any topic you’re scrapping about will work but here are a few that really play well with the graph paper idea:
- School or homework
- And in my case, farming.
Here is how I used my polar coordinate graph paper on a scrapbook page:
Page & Photos: Jenifer Juris
Kit: Little Boys by Simple Pleasure Designs
Fonts: Veteran Typewriter, Camsay
Whether you’re just getting started in digital scrapbooking or are self taught and want to fill in the gaps in your education, our QwikLearn Photoshop and Photoshop Elements classes will help you get up to speed FAST and become the confident, competent digital scrapbooker you desire to be.
This self-paced class will take you where you want to go and is available for Photoshop Elements 11 to 2018, and Photoshop CS6 through Creative Cloud.
Use Coupon Code LEARN25 at checkout to save 25% off the full price of the class. Cannot be combined with any other discount.
Author: Jenifer Juris | Contact Us
All comments are moderated.
Please allow time for your comment to appear.