Go from faceless to friendly in just a few minutes time. All it takes is a quick account setup at gravatar.com.
Gravatars vs Avatars
Avatars are small graphics that are displayed under your username whenever you post. They are specific to a website — like the profile photo you choose to use on Facebook.
Gravatars are globally recognized avatars that follow you from website to website. Your gravatar will appear when you comment on this blog post and many other websites on the internet.
If you don’t have an avatar or a gravatar, a little faceless guy will show up in your place. But, it’s quick and easy to remedy that. Here’s how to set up a gravatar.
Step One: Create an Account at Gravatar.com
- Go to gravatar.com.
- Click on the blue box labeled “Create Your Own Gravatar.”
- Enter an email address. This should be the same e-mail address that you use to make comments on our blog.
- Enter a username (this will also follow you around the web) and password.
- Click Sign Up.
Gravatar.com (WordPress) will send you a confirmation e-mail.
- In the email, click Activate Account.
- At Gravatar.com, click Sign In. You may need to enter your information.
Step Two – Add an Image
Now that you’ve successfully created an account, it’s time to add a picture! When you first open your account, gravatar.com will tell you that you don’t have a picture yet and you need to add one.
- Click on the Add One by Clicking Here or the Add a New Image link.
- Choose how you want to upload an image.
Step Three – Crop Your Photo
Now you’ll see the photo you’ve uploaded as well as a view of how the gravatar currently looks.
- On the main image, click and drag the bounding box handles to make the Cropper Box larger or smaller.
- Click and drag inside the image to reposition it.
- Click Crop Image when finished.
Step Four: Rate and Finish
- Choose a rating for your gravatar. Please be sure your photo fits the ‘G’ rating! *Ü*
- Click Set Rating.
All done! Next time you leave a comment on our site using that e-mail address, your gravatar should show up next to your name, and you will be ‘faceless’ no more!
By the way, for those of you shy about showing your real face, you can choose anything you like to represent you—a pet, a cartoon caricature, a photo of you when you were a child, whatever! If you post often, we’ll soon get to know the YOU that you choose to portray in picture form.
I’m looking forward to seeing the gravatars that you create.
Leave a comment below if you’d like to check out your new gravatar!
Author: Jen White | Contact Us
All comments are moderated.
Please allow time for your comment to appear.